Pages

Wednesday 16 July 2014

Songs That I Song #78 Barbara Streisand - Evergreen



So last night as I sat with my Mum as she relayed the tales of the day and which nurses and doctors had been and what were the next steps she mentioned that she had fallen whilst getting out of bed in the morning.

When I asked what had happened she said my Dad was trying to help her and he lifted her, and as they both unsteady on their feet when my Dad had lifted my Mum to her feet they had stood grasped together for a moment try to steady themselves like some kind silent dance before my Mum fell backwards onto the bed and my Dad then fell down beside her. No one was really hurt but my Mum then said something that left me struggling with my emotions (again) the 5 words she said were "we have never danced together" 51 years married and I guess a few years before that courting and they have never had a dance. That might not seem like a big thing but it broke my heart.

So this blog post is for my Mum and Dad, they have never been huge music fans (but in some ways are responsible for my love of music) but as I grew up I remember this record being played a lot (soundtrack to A Star Is Born)  along with the Neil Diamonds Jazz Singer soundtrack.

I don't own either of these albums and would have said I know little about them but as I scanned youtube for an appropriate track it seems I know all of the tracks and an awful lot of words to most of the songs!

So call me sentimental (I am) but this song is for my Mum and Dad, I know you will now never have that dance but if I whenever I hear this song then at least you will be dancing in my imagination.



Love soft as an easy chair
Love fresh as the morning air
One love that is shared by two
I have found with you
Like a rose under the April snow
I was always certain love would grow
Love ageless and evergreen
Seldom seen by two
You and I will
make each night the first
Everyday a beginning
Spirits rise and their dance is unrehearsed
They warm and excite us
'Cause we have the brightest love
Two lights that shine as one Morning glory and midnight sun
Time... we've learned to sail above
Time... won't change the meaning of one love
Ageless and ever evergreen...

No comments:

Post a Comment