Pages

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Songs That I Love #45 Song To The Siren - Various

This Mortal Coil
 
 
I have posted 3 versions of the same song as that is the journey this song has taken me on. I first fell with This Mortal Coils version of this song, not knowing it was a cover and not knowing that This Mortal Coil were really The Cocteau Twins. None of that mattered really the song was haunting and beautiful.
 
 
I discovered Tim Buckley through the music of his son Jeff Buckley and hence the original version of the song being included.
 
I have heard a number of other versions of this song by the likes of Sinead O'Connor (good) Robert Plant (OK) and Bryan Ferry (awful) but the 3rd version I have included is now maybe my favourite version. The Czars were a band much lauded by the critics who never really had any success  although the main man behind the band (John Grant) has gone on to be hugely successful.
 



Long afloat on ship less oceans
I did all my best to smile
'til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you hare when I was fox?
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks,
For you sing, 'touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow:
O my heart, o my heart shies from the sorrow'

I am puzzled as the newborn child
I am troubled at the tide:
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Should I lie with death my bride?
Hear me sing, 'swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you:
Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you'



The Czars

Tim Buckley

No comments:

Post a Comment