Pages

Monday 8 August 2011

Random Review #94 Amanda Marshall - Tuesday's Child

C3S12CD3 I did a bit of research on Amanda Marshall today as she disappeared off the face of the earth in 2001. I wondered if her career had just folded but it turns out that due to a legal dispute with her management that she has been unable to record since she released her third album in 2001.

This album was her second released in 1999 and built on the success of her self titled debut. I think I first heard Amanda Marshall whilst watching the Kevin Costner film Tin Cup. I can’t remember the song but I was struck by the power of the voice and waited until the end of the film to see who the artist was, after that it was a simple exercise to track down the music as in truth her profile has never been very high in the UK.

Marshall’s music is pure American soft rock which I make no excuses for liking. A mix of ballads and rockier numbers make up all of Marshall’s CD’s and Tuesday’s Child is no different. Although Marshall has an amazing voice I note that she didn’t write many of the songs on her debut, however she co-wrote all of tracks on this album with the help of Desmond Childs on most of the songs. For those that don’t know Childs he is one of the most famous song writers for hire in the US. His genre is choice is soft rock and he has lent his talents to the likes of Bon Jovi in the past.

This is a strong album that follows a well worn path, sensitive ballads showcasing Marshall’s substantial vocal talents rubbing shoulders with the rocky hook laden pop rock songs, keep coming at you at a rapid pace. Highlights for me are opener Believe In You, If I Didn’t Have You and Wishful Thinking. I notice that this album was produced by Don Was so I’m guessing no expense was spared by the record company to make this album a success.

Canada seems to have a rich vein of female artist producing this type of music, Sarah McLachlan and Alanis Morissette to name a couple, and if you like Sheryl Crow then Amanda Marshall might be for you.

I’ll leave you with a bit of a confession, I have over 2000+ CD’s and Amanda Marshall’s third album Everybody’s Got A Story was the first album that I bought twice by accident. In my defence it was released twice with entirely different covers and in this day and age where we upload music to iPods I rarely looks a track listing now! I have bought another twice since then, but that’s a story for another article!


Mark 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment