Pages

Saturday 30 April 2011

April Music Purchases

Madness – The Liberty Of Norton Folgate As much as I appreciate the attraction of Madness I have never been a fan of the Nutty Boys but after @spurssimon put this in his #masterpieces list I thought I would give it a go. I found it in an independent record store for £1.99 how could I resist. I wasn’t expecting too much but I was pleasantly surprised. The album is a really mature piece of work, classy songs beautiful bass lines and lyrics that at times remind me of Ian Dury. Thanks Simon!

Paul Weller – At The BBC. Only the 2 disc version (rather than the 3 disc box set) but enough to remind me why I love Weller.  I have struggled with the last 2 albums and feel the music press are at a point where they can’t tell Weller the truth such is his gravitas. The last couple of albums have been self indulgent and at points unlistenable to me, but this is a compilation of his best moments at the BBC and is class, studio sessions and a Live In Concert make this a bargain at £5.

Electric Light Orchestra – Out Of The Blue £3 purchase of an album from my youth. Guilty pleasure for some but I am happy to admit to loving ELO and this album was released when the band were at the peak of their fame. Turn to Stone, Mr Blue Sky and Sweet Talkin’ Woman were the lead singles and all are pure pop masterpieces. Mr Blue Sky seems to be used for TV adverts on a regular basis at the minute, BMW and M&S and sounds as fresh today as it did in the 80’s.

James Vincent McMorrow – Early In The Morning Lovely album Irish singer songwriter, bits of Bon Iver and even James Morrison in this but really good debut. I haven’t stopped playing this all month. I have been banging on about this guy for weeks on Twitter but I really think he could be massive this year.


10’ Vinyl - its Boss Time In celebration of Record Store Day 2011, if you don’t know what this is check out, 2 great blogs on Choose My Music and www.RumblesandGrumbles.com and you can find the link on my page. This is a 4 track EP by 4 different artists, The Magic Numbers, Willie Nile, Billy Franks, and Danny & The Champions Of The World, covering Springsteen tracks, I haven’t listened to it yet but I love Springsteen and I love 3 of the 4 artists involved (Never heard of Willie Nile) so can’t imagine this isn’t going to be a winner!

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros - Up From Below American band playing Latitude and Leeds Festivals in the UK and part of Dave Matthews Band Caravan in the USA, sound a bit like The Polyphonic Spree crossed with Low Anthem if that is possible?

The Lake Poets – Self Titled  A local North East band that sound pretty good to me discovered them on a free CD on local culture magazine. NARC. On Twitter @lakepoets  follow them and get link to download EP for free.


Monsters Of Folk – Self titled Alt Folk Super group (yep I did say it) Members of Bright Eyes, My Morning Jacket, and She & Him. Haven’t listened to it yet, but can’t imagine I’ll not like it.

John Waite - Rough & Tumble 'that' John Waite of 80’s fame with Missing You, went to see him in concert, great gig, with the added bonus of having Kyle Cook (from Matchbox 20) playing guitar. Bought the latest album, some nice melodic rock album, if you like that sort of thing.(and I do)

Fergal Sharkey – Songs From The Mardi Gras Always loved this album when it came out, had a vinyl copy and just managed to get a copy on CD. Was never a huge Undertones fan, but have found memories of this album, let’s hope I still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment