Pages

Monday 14 June 2010

What Kind Of Music Do You Like?

People often ask me what type of Music do I like and I find this question very hard to answer without sounding vague, and a bit pretentious, but the honest answer is I like all types of music a good song is a good song.

Let me explain, In my teens like post kids growing up in The 80's you were either into Heavy Rock or Punk, I went with the former, and loved Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, UFO, Thin Lizzy and everything in between, but I still loved the power pop of The Clash or The Ruts.

As I left school I was introduced to David Bowie and quickly managed to get my hands on his whole back catalogue. At this point I stopped worrying about being associated with a certain genre and just accepted that a good song was a good song. I discovered The Waterboys (A love affair that lasted many years and deserves a blog of it's own sometime) and they switched be on to Van Morrison, who in turn made to start a historical journey into blues and soul music that occupied a number of years, and took right back to early American field recordings and gospel music and also elements of folk through Woody Guthrie.

I struggled with country, in it's purist twangy style but love a lot of Americana, Steve Earle, Wilco, Ryan Adams, Grand Drive, the Jayhawks, Green or Red etc. Saying that I love what Rick Rubin has done with Johnny Cash with the American Recordings truly amazing!

I now can't say what my favourite genre is, it depends on what time of the day it is and what I'm doing, I manage to get to 3-4 gigs a month (excluding local bands) and have seen The Dave Matthews Band, Paulo Nutini, The Stereophonics, Tom McRae, Natalie Merchant and Grizzly Bear amongst many others this year alone.

I love modern prog Rock (Mew, Porcupine Tree, The Mar Volta) and Jam Bands (DMB, Phish, Grateful Dead, Gov't Mule etc) and singer songwriters, (Damien Rice, Ray Lamontagne, David Grey, Newton Faulkner) I also have a huge amount of Neil Young's music and the whole Laurel Canyon scene of the 80's.

I struggle with Rap, although enjoy the odd song by Jay-Z and others than reach my ears from the radio and MTV.

I get frustrated by what is called R'n'B because it's not Rhythm and Blues a far better title is Neu-Soul and thing there is some amazing talent out there, Angie Stone, India Irie, Maxwell, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu etc

So if I ever meet you and you ask me what kind of music do I like don't get pissed when I give you a pathetic answer I don't mean to, I just have too much music in my head!

Sorry

A

No comments:

Post a Comment